I’m hosting an interview today with M.L. Ryan, the author of paranormal romance / urban fantasy novel “Special Offers”. Thanks for answering my questions, M.L.!
1) Please tell us about yourself. Although most people that know me believe I received my degree in snarkology, I actually have a Ph.D. in Immunology and study a gastrointestinal disorder that affects premature infants. As a scientist, I’ve spent many years writing science non-fiction, but I’ve always made up stories in my head (which were definitely not suited for professional journals). One day, I decided I needed to start writing some of them. I like to say it was because I had to free up some brain space, but the fact is the stories were clamoring to get out and I had to respect their desire to escape. In addition to writing and my day-job, I play soccer on two women’s recreational teams, design jewelry and birdwatch. I live in Arizona with my husband and teenage son, two Curly Coated Retrievers, four cats and a desert tortoise.
2) Tell us about your book in five sentences or less. I’ll do it in one (it’s my elevator pitch): Special Offers is about a woman who is possessed by a magically-inclined being from a parallel dimension who had been trapped in her Kindle.
3) What inspired you to write Special Offers? I had just purchased my full-priced Kindle when I realized Amazon was selling less expensive versions that came with “special offers” (ads instead of the pretty drawings). I thought it would be amusing if what made the cheaper Kindles special was that they came with some fiendish spirit. Originally, I imagined something like a havoc-wrecking poltergeist, but that quickly changed into the annoying, yet ingratiating, Sebastian.
4) How many hours per week do you spend writing? I probably average 20 – 25 hours a week.
5) If you could meet three authors, which authors would you choose? Wow, that’s a tough one. In no particular order: Jane Austen, Jeaniene Frost and Dr. Seuss. Unless some of the strange machinations that occur in paranormal/urban fantasy are real, my only shot is with Jeaniene (if you’re reading this, Jeaniene, call me. Jane and Theodor, I’m open to haunting).
6) What are you working on at the moment? I’m about half-way through the third book in the series, tentatively titled Special Attraction. It picks up where the second book, Special Rewards, left off.
Author: M.L. Ryan
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance
Meet Hailey – possessed by an otherworldly being who was trapped in her Kindle.
Hailey Parrish was quick-witted, irreverent, and hadn’t had a date in three years. She only wanted an eBook reader because her collection of paperbacks threatened to take over her small living space. Little did she know that the “special offers” that prompted the purchase included much more than a reduced price in exchange for a few ads. The device came pre-loaded with the essence of Sebastian Kess, an erudite womanizer with magical abilities from a parallel dimension. When she inadvertently releases him and he inhabits her body, she finally has a man inside her, just not in the way she imagined. And soon her predicament introduces her to yet another supernatural, the handsome could-be-the-man-of-her-dreams Alex Sunderland. Can Alex and Hailey find a way to return Sebastian to his own body, stay one step ahead of the criminals who want to keep him where he is, and not lose their sense of humor?
Special Offers, the first book of the Coursodon Dimension Series, combines paranormal romance, urban fantasy, a bit of science fiction and a healthy dose of quirky humor.
M.L. Ryan is a professional woman — not that she gave up her amateur status, but rather that she is over-educated with a job in which she spends a lot of time writing dry science non-Fiction. In an effort to strengthen the less logical side of her brain, she decided to write some of the many stories rolling around in her head. She lives in Tucson, AZ with her husband, son, four cats, two dogs and an adopted desert tortoise.
Amazon: (Kindle) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077ZJNRW
Smashwords: (ePub, pdf, etc) https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/131930
Create Space: https://www.createspace.com/3940235